Well, I've tried GNOME 3 now...

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sun May 1 06:59:53 UTC 2011

On 04/27/2011 07:13 PM, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
> On 04/27/2011 06:01 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> Is any other desktop more of a GNOME 2 replacement than GNOME 3? i.e.,
>>> would changing to another default desktop result in more continuity? I
>>> would say not.
>> Agreed. Things have derailed. Now the cart is stuck in the mud
>>
>> In other words Gnome and Fedora (Both projects dominated by a single
>> enterprise) haved decided to switch their target audience.
>
> I'll avoid expressing my opinion of this opinion and merely ask: if you are so
> passionate about the decisions the upstream projects have made why are you not
> more involved in the development and decision-making that go into them?
Pardon, but in case of gnome I am just an ordinary user, who is being
confronted with changes in the DE he has been using for many years but
now has become unusable for him.

> This isn't MS or Apple  - if you have an opinion express it constructively by
> getting involved and doing something positive.

Well, Gnome and Fedora are like MS and Apple, IMO. "Some people draw
decisions and press them through at any price",

> Having watched numerous people start out on a hacking career by getting involved
> in Gnome and then quickly become very well respected developers (I'd name names
> but I don't want to make anyone blush ;)
I am already involved in many projects and don't have any time left to
also get involved in to Gnome.

Ralf