new firewall utility in Fedora and F15 Beta install problems on a netbook

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Mon May 2 14:19:45 UTC 2011

On 04/30/2011 09:23 PM, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> Sorry for asking this question :(, but how does one know if were are running a firewall on basic install?  Do we have to set it up on our own, or it is setup automagically for us?
>
> I have read in the features for Fedora 15 an easy firewall builder or such utility.  I want to ask if there are any howto's to set it up and also be done with it like the character encoding/compose key that was asked before.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Antonio
>
> P.S.
> running several machines with Fedora 15 beta
> 4 Gnome 3, 1 KDE 4, 1 LXDE
>
> tried to install XFCE beta spin but got error message "Dropping you to a shell" no root device was found :(  Tried with Gnome 3 spin and LXDE spins and ran into same issue :(, tried to install it on netbook with an external cd/dvd drive.  smolt profile here:
>
> http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_f499f128-8772-4d24-8540-d99657701558
>
> The three live cd's boot fine on regular desktop machines except on this netbook :(

Hi Antonio.

Regarding firewalls and configuration you are probably referring to the
new firewalld we're introducing in Fedora 15:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FirewallD/

It's still work in progress, so the basic service is there now and
working, but as mentioned there in the long run the idea is to simplify
the use of common firewall configurations, e.g. home, work, public.

Currently the basic framework is there, meaning the initial version of
the service itself together with the necessary command line tools.

In the next Fedora releases we plan to extend that according to the
roadmap we have put in that wiki.

If you're looking for an easy-to-use tool to configure your firewall
we've had system-config-firewall for a long time and it's very well
maintained, so give that a shot, it might be what you were looking for.

Thanks & regards, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch              | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Supervisor Core Services     | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111