Focus-follows-mouse in Gnome-shell?

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue May 3 13:18:51 UTC 2011

On 05/02/2011 03:34 PM, Olav Vitters wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2011 at 08:46:00AM -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>> This must be a FAQ here, but googling didn't turn anything up.  How can
>> I enable focus-follows-mouse without auto-raise in Gnome-shell?
>
> You have to enable it in gnome-tweak-tool, dconf-editor or the gsettings
> command line tool.

Afaik it's not exposed in the tweak tool UI. Just set the key
"/apps/metacity/general/focus_mode" to either "sloppy" or "mouse" (there
used to be a difference between these two but I don't see it anymore in
2.34).

E.g. from the command line:

gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/metacity/general/focus_mode sloppy

Or set it graphically via gconf-editor but this will require installing
extra packages.

Regards.
Bryn.