Fedora-15-i386-netinst.iso problems

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Fri May 6 15:36:01 UTC 2011


On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 23:29 +1000, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> People,
> 
> On my Gateway LT30 netbook, I am still getting similar problems to the 
> one I got after the Beta XFCE Live CD version install to HD.  This time 
> I tried installing using the Fedora-15-i386-netinst.iso from a USB stick 
> doing:
> 
> 1. a minimal system
> and
> 2. a Graphical Desktop System
> 
> 1. I was able to install the minimal system OK and then setup networking 
> and install:
> 
> - Xorg
> - vesa driver
> - fb driver
> 
> and groupinstall XFCE.
> 
> However I kept getting "/dev/fb0" does not exist errors (it does exist) 
> when trying to start X.

Make sure you installed the appropriate xorg-x11-drv-* package that
matches your hardware.  Does /var/log/Xorg.0.log provide any additional
guidance about what might be missing/broken?

> 2. The Graphical Desktop version takes a lot longer to install (I think 
> there should be a "light" graphical install equivalent to the Live CD 
> version) but it eventually finishes however on rebooting I get:

As I'm sure you know, it takes longer because it's installing more
packages.  Comparing install time from a live image and a real install
is comparing apples and oranges.  The cool thing about live images, is
all the dependency resolution and package installation is done when the
image is created.  The live install just slaps that down onto the
system.  The drawback/benefit (depending on your point of view) is there
is no install-time package customization.

During a normal installation, the dependency resolution and package
install happens as you install the system.  And depending on the
packages you choose, disk speed, network speed etc... it can take
longer.

> Starting sm-client			[OK]
> 					[OK]
> Mounting other filesystems: mount: devpts already mounted or /dev/pts busy
> mount: sysfs already mounted or /sys busy
> 					[FAILED]

Not sure if this is already filed, but we'd need to track this is a
distinct bug report.

> Starting PC-SC Smartcrd (pcscd)		[OK]
> 					[OK]
> Reloading sendmail			[OK]
> Reloading sm-client			[OK]
> 
> and then hangs again (very much like what I got after the Beta XFCE Live 
> CD version install to HD).

What can you determine the system is doing at this point?  Do you get
login shells on other tty's?  Do you get more info if you boot without
"rhgb quiet"?  What is your default systemd start-up
(`ll /lib/systemd/system/default.target`)?  Can you login remotely when
the hang occurs, to see what the system is doing?
 
> I want to try F15 on this machine (it currently runs F13) because F14 
> had a problem with a slow, sluggish mouse but I am not having much 
> success with F15 either so far . .

Thanks,
James
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 198 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
Url : http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/test/attachments/20110506/cf0a98cb/attachment.bin 


More information about the test mailing list