Firefox and Java Plugin on F15

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 6 22:01:35 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 05:59 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 14:06 -0400, Scott Robbins wrote:
> > On Thu, May 05, 2011 at 11:29:06AM -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > > Before I go ahead and submit a BZ on this, has anyone else noticed that
> > > the Java plugin is not listed in Firefox on F15? If you do
> > > about:plugins, everything else you would expect to be there is. The Java
> > > plugin is visibly absent.
> >
> > I added Sun Java, following the steps in the mjmwired guide (using
> > alternatives to make sure it's using Sun.
> >
> > Also ran the command (again from the mjmwired guide
> >
> > /usr/sbin/alternatives --install
> > /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin.so \
> > libjavaplugin.so.x86_64 /usr/java/default/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so 20000
> >
> > (I think it pretty much echoes what's on the Fedora SOLVED wiki page.)
>
> Thanks - to all on this thread.
>
> Installing the package icedtea-web indeed enabled the OpenJDK pligin,
> and, although I have followed the above, I also was able to get the Sun
> JDK working as well.
>
> That said, icedtea-web should be a part of the install. Leaving it out
> should be considered an oversight or bug...

Well, comps has this:

  <group>
    <id>java</id>
    <_name>Java</_name>
    <_description>Support for running programs written in the Java
programming language.</_description>
    <default>true</default>
    <uservisible>true</uservisible>
    <packagelist>
      <packagereq type="mandatory">java-1.5.0-gcj</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="mandatory">libgcj</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">java-1.6.0-openjdk</packagereq>
      <packagereq type="default">icedtea-web</packagereq>
    </packagelist>
  </group>

so it looks like it is in by default, on a DVD install at least. For
live images, Desktop and Xfce correctly specify icedtea-web, lxde
specifies the old name java-1.6.0-openjdk-plugin (not sure if this would
get ignored, or replaced with icedtea-web via the obsoletes/provides).
KDE doesn't appear to specify either (though Konq does its own thing
with plugins, so maybe it happens some other way).

Seems like this was fixed in comps on April 25, so I think it missed
beta:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=comps.git;a=commit;h=2b43cce0c50a745436cef839e6d5300210af0d7f

was fixed in spin-kickstarts for Desktop on April 18:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=commit;h=c4346cc171bc4f81be11c4364d84a064a21a8323

and for Xfce on April 16:

http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=spin-kickstarts.git;a=commit;h=4e6a805d075699db5666d4effd3bf3ab3624f263

again, missing Beta. So I'd expect this is probably broken in Beta and
fixed in TC1, as the executive summary...