Really Slow boot in F15

John Mellor jmellor at rogers.com
Sat May 7 03:08:24 UTC 2011

> On 05/06/2011 06:08 AM, John Mellor wrote:
> >
> > What can I look at to determine where in the boot sequence that the
> > problem bottleneck is, and how do I do it?
> >

> systemd-analyze
>
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/blame-game.html

Ok, now I have a couple of unsettling numbers:

udev-settle.service is taking an incredible 57.670 seconds to do its
probes.  This is a pretty simple machine, so its somewhat unclear how it
could possibly mess up that badly.  5 of the 6 SATA ports are not even
connected.  Is there any way to see what it thinks that it is probing
that is so expensive?

ntpdate.service is the next heaviest candidate, taking only 16.281
seconds.  Presumably, this would be mostly due to my rogers.com uplink
having a really crummy dns resolver, and most of the default 4 indirects
to fedora.pool.ntp.org are to not very well known hosts (eliminating
most dns cache effects).  I can probably improve this a lot just by not
using rogers as my dns resolver.

cups.service is taking 6.373 seconds, presumably because I have not
configured a printer yet on F15.

Everything else is anywhere from 3.5 seconds (NetworkManager.service) to
12msec (rc.local.service), and so are probably not contributing any
significant amount of extra delay to the ridiculous 1-minute udev-settle
time.