Was: Libreoffice not printing

cornel panceac cpanceac at gmail.com
Sat May 7 06:13:11 UTC 2011

2011/5/7 Lawrence E Graves <lgraves at risingstarmbc.com>

> On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 16:36 -0400, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> using a
> page.
> was
> happen
> have
> please

> up
> and
> showing.
> all

> > > I am glad yours worked but I am still plagued with the problem. It
> still
> > > will not print. If that was the problem, I would be happy to deal with
> > > it. There just isn't any communication between Libreoffice and my
> > > printer.
> > >

> > Can you print from gedit?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > OldFart
>
> No. I can't. This is the same results I get when trying to print from
> Adobe.
> --
> Lawrence E Graves <lgraves at risingstarmbc.com>
>
> Maybe this is related: Yesterday i wanted to print something from f15.
Since there was only a generic printer listed, i wanted to add my network
printer (which is an Brother 5250DN). I reached somehow a place (Printers)
where i can press "unlock"  then "+" which i supposed will add a printer. i
attempted the "+" twice and crashed twice. At this point i figured out that
i'll have to use my brain a little bit :) I attempted to run
system-config-printer* from terminal and (pk?) offered to install it. (pk?)
Failed to install it but i installed it manually. After that, s-c-p told me
the daemon is not started (or something like that). Attempting to start it i
discovered it's not even installed. After install, i was still unable to
start it through systemct start cupsd.service. For some strange reasons,
service cups restart worked. (Later i've figured it out the service name
seems to be cups.service but, it's not listed under
/lib/systemd/system{/multi-user or graphilcal.target.wants} so i still can't
tell for sure) Then, i was able to add my network printer. Of course, as
usual, "Find network printer" didn't actually find anything unless i told it
the ip of the printer. After that, my printer was listed two times, once
under the name Brother* and once Jet direct* name. I selected the Brother*
name. It started searching for drivers. I've figured out that the listed
drivers are not printer specific an they are in limited numbers, so i
canceled the whole thing and checked if the foomatic database was installed.
It was not. After install, I could select a driver for my printer but, it
was not printing. The error was it could not find the printer. I deleted the
printer, readded it and this time i selected the other name, Jet direct*.
This time everything worked fine. Maybe it was not the right way to do
things, but it looks to me that's a lot of work to print something in F15.