Spicy f15

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sun May 8 23:12:34 UTC 2011

I was previously running spice in f14 with a silly wrapper
script to swap out the VNC video args and swap in the
spice args when invoking qemu. I wondered how difficult
it was going to be to transform the machine definition
to use the native spice support in the new libvirt,
but it turned out to be quite easy: I defined a dummy
KVM, telling virt-manager it was Windows XP and editing
the attributes prior to initial boot to enable virtio
and spice, then I let it boot up, killed it, and
dumped the xml to compare with my old xml. A little bit
of editing and adjusting pci slot definitions so as not
to upset the windows machine, and it booted up just fine.
Didn't even bring up the new hardware wizard. And now
it is safe to open the machines from virt-manager,
don't have to manually run the spice client anymore.

So it looks as if I won't have any problems porting
my KVMs from f14 to f15 (which is always good to
verify before actually making the jump :-).