[Test-Announce] Fedora 15 Final Test Compose 1 (TC1) Available Now!

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Mon May 9 14:34:19 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-05-07 at 20:27 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2011 12:25:34 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 18:21 +0000, BeartoothHOS wrote:
> 	[....]
> >> 	Even if I had the time, it would take me months or years of study
> >> to become able to follow at that level, alas! But I'm glad to do what I
> >> can without that.
> >
> > It really shouldn't - the workflow is as simple as: download the test
> > image, click on a test case link on the matrix,
>
> 	Test image? matrix?? You've lost me.

The good news, is that we (Fedora QA) didn't create/define these terms
on our own.  Some basic searching yields plenty of information to answer
your question ...

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=test+matrix

> > follow the instructions
> > in the test case (they're really easy),
>
> 	No doubt, if you're familiar with the words and their meanings.

Every document has an intended audience, and some basic expectations of
that audience.  We do our best to document to as large an audience as
possible, but it's impossible to concisely document something that works
for *everyone*.

If you have suggested changes to the wording, or title, of a test case
on the wiki ... please don't hesitate to make recommendations.  We
aren't opposed to change, in fact ... we thrive on it.

> > and then add in your result
> > based on the outcome of the test. It's not meant to be difficult or
> > complicated or need extra study at all.
>
> 	I didn't intend to imply it was *meant* to be; but, alas!, so it
> is in fact to those without background. Very similarly, those fluent in a
> given language usually imagine it utterly easy -- until they try to teach
> it to others unfamiliar with it.
>
> 	Or to take a third case, I could give you a lecture off the top
> of my head, effortlessly, on the history and theory of the Germanic
> languages and literatures, which (unless you're already knowledgeable or
> I pitched it appropriately (knowing how by long practice)) you'd find
> bewildering. Otoh, that double parenthesis I just committed probably
> won't've bothered you nearly so much as it would have an English major.
>
> 	In all cases, the adept have learned so much, for so long, that
> they disremember the effort it once took (in early childhood, in the case
> of a mother tongue).

Yup, I think we all understand this.  As a team, we do our best to avoid
s3cr3t l33t terminology that excludes outside contributions.  One way we
avoid that, is by communicating on this list, and actively discussing
the tests and changes to them.  If you have specific recommendations,
don't hesitate to propose your ideas.  If they are good, someone will
accept them and move forward.  If not ... no harm done, but congratulate
yourself since you just actively participated in Fedora by offering a
solution.

> > Here's a practical example...
> >
> > Okay, we have our F15 TC1 Desktop live image, let's go to
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Current_Desktop_Test . Look
> > at the matrix, and click on the first test case - that's
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_desktop_browser .
>
> 	desktop browser??

If you aren't clear on the meaning of a link, try clicking the link for
more information.  In the example sited, if I click the link, the
resulting description says, "This test case tests whether the default
web browser is operational in a given installation."  Does that help
answer your question ("desktop browser??").  If not, feel free to
propose changes that you feel are more easily understood.

Thanks,
James