F15 TC1 dvd (from usb) installer failing : no network available

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue May 10 13:13:15 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 14:52 +0530, Pratyush Sahay wrote:
> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:32 PM, James Laska <jlaska at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2011-05-08 at 12:26 +0530, Pratyush Sahay wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Tried installing F15 TC1 from a USB DVD media, created using UNetBootin
> > from
> > > F15-i386-dvd.iso image.
> > > The installer exits after the "Boot Loader OS list" step, the error being
> > > shown :
> > >
> > > No Network Available.. some of the software repos require networking, but
> > > there
> > > was an error enabling the network on your system
> > >
> > > Am behind our insti's ntlm proxy, so even pluging-in the ethernet cable
> > > didnt help..
> > > Screenshot link :
> > > http://goo.gl/DlwgA
> >
> > Have you tried configuring your proxy information during installation?
> >
> > This can be done using a boot argument [1], or by manually entering the
> > required information when booting with 'askmethod' [2].
> >
> > Thanks,
> > James
> >

> i tried this way, but it still says "network not found"..I dont know whether
> its the NTLM, or the proxy settings in our insti, entries such as :
> proxy=[protocol://][username[:password]@]host[:port] just dont work..
> yum, wget , etc.. all need something like cntlm [1] to be running in the
> background.

Proxy support in the installer involves providing a URL to your proxy
server.  That URL is then used by curl/yum when downloading content
(packages and metadata).  If your corporate network requires additional
daemons running locally, that is not supported at this time.

The guidance at this point is to install using a non-network
installation method (such as the DVD or Live installer).

Thanks,
James