two displays problem in shell

cornel panceac cpanceac at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:52:24 UTC 2011

Hi boys and girls,

I have problems with two displays in gnome shell.  I configured the shell to
use only the external display and now, the display is no longer activated. I
powered off the external display and still no joy. I have display up to gdm,
then, after entering the user and password, the display is turned off and,
even if the keyboard is active, i can no longer switch to ctrl-alt-f2 etc
and i can no longer have video output. apparently ctrl-alt-f2 is not
switching out off xorg since pressing ctrl-alt del does nothing. That's
different from the old trident driver screen lock, when video output was
missing but i could escape in "blind" to the text console. of course,
there's no ctrl-alt-backspace to kill xorg, so i'm left with pressing the
power button. driver is nouveau, card is

# lspci -nn | grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation G86M [Quadro
NVS 135M] [10de:042b] (rev a1)

anyone seeing this? any known workaround?

ps
i installed xfce and both displays work fine.

--
"The end is important in all things."
 -- *Yamamoto Tsunetomo*  / *Hagakure* / *Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai*