RC2 hangs trying to boot

Per Bothner per at bothner.com
Fri May 13 17:21:13 UTC 2011

On 05/13/2011 09:27 AM, James Laska wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 09:09 -0700, Per Bothner wrote:
>> I get the grub flash screen centered on the display
>> (looks like 800 pixels wide out of 1920 wide native resolution).
>> I can enter grub commands etc fine.  When I boot I get
>>
>> Trying to allocate 941 pages from VMLINUZ2
>> [Linux-EFI, setup=0x101e, size=0x3ac3101]
>>     [Initrd, addr=0x79ce2000, size=0x5e1a6e0]
>>
>> and then it hangs.

> Check your kernel boot parameters, make sure you aren't redirecting
> console output to another device (console=).

Nope.  Note this is booting from the DVD (Fedora-15-x86_64-DVD.iso
burned to a DVD) or a USB stick - I certainly haven't changed the
parameters.

> The initrd.img in Fedora 15 is considerably larger than previous
> releases.  Allow the kernel some time to load the image.  Walk away for
> 5 minutes or so.  Maybe we'll get lucky, and it just needed more time.

Nope - it's taking longer than that.

> Check your BIOS for any funky console redirection.  Try booting
> different milestones (Alpha, Beta) or releases (Fedora 14, 13 ...) to
> find something that works.

> If you can't find anything that works, I'd
> be suspect of local hardware or configuration.  If you find something
> that does work ... we can work backwards to see when it started failing.
>
> I'm poking around to see if there are any other debugging options,
> because if console redirection isn't the problem, I'm out of ideas :(

As mentioned, i386 live Alpha boots.  Also,
beta x86_64 live works, though it takes a while (nouveau needs to time out).

I will just try to install that, so I have something that runs.
--
	--Per Bothner