My Fedora 15 beta experiences so far

Jason D. Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Fri May 13 23:07:27 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 12:55,  <alan at clueserver.org> wrote:
> The networking came up as IPv6 *only*. My router does not do IPv6 and my
> ISP (Qwest) does not know when their network ever will. In order to get it
> to work I had to hack files in /etc/sysconfig and use dhclient to get an
> address since the Network Manager applet is dumbed down to absolute
> worthlessness. (More on that later.)  The networking problems seem to have
> been fixed, but there were far too many of them. (Having no default route
> for fixed IP addresses was a pain.)

Something seems seriously wrong here but I suspect that you would have
been able to fix it by just launching the Network Connections program
which is in the default install. This is the nm-connection-editor that
you already know and love. It's in the default applications list. This
is the first report I can recall of this type, though, so it's likely
something specific to your setup. Details would help.

> Gnome screen saver's config panel is no where to
> be found.

Right, DPMS (in "Screen" capplet) + lock status screen makes a lot
more sense from a power-saving perspective and use-case perspective.

> To switch the desktop with a mouse now takes 2-3 clicks where it
> used to take one.

We suspected that power users would use the CTRL-ALT-ARROW key combo.
The mouse to workspaces behavior is a function of solving the
long-standing "where did all my windows go after I clicked this
arbitrary part of the panel?" problem and also to make it an
intuitively discoverable feature for new users.

>There are no applets to be found.

Yes, and there will not be any allowed unless they are provided via a
user-installed extension. We do not want third-party applications
putting stuff in the panel. The top panel is a safe harbor, now.

> The desktop is bare,

Right, the "icons behind a bunch of overlapping windows" paradigm was
painful; we can and will do better with the finding-and-reminding work
scheduled for 3.2.

> unless you use an the Gtweakui program to hack it. (Which most users will
> not ever know about since it is not installed by default.)

Right, because a power user tweak program is a bad thing to present to
new users on a default install.

> The option to
> use the "classic style" is a lie. It is still Gnome 3, but with a
> kinda-sorta Gnome 2 look. (With all the above still missing.)

Did you try Alt-right-clicking on the Fallback Mode panel? I suspect
that you'll find that it's almost entirely like GNOME 2.x.