My Fedora 15 beta experiences so far

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Sat May 14 11:59:29 UTC 2011

On Fri, 13 May 2011 22:57:48 -0700
Adam Williamson wrote:

> It's a *temporary workaround*. the GNOME 3 network configuration tools
> are not feature complete yet, so we keep the old one around to cover
> things that aren't finished.

But it doesn't look like the old tool to me. The old tool I used
to be able to find is the one now buried in the "Other" category.
I've never seen the (yes, it is utterly useless, no smiley) tool
the network item in the control panel pops up. It has an "Options..."
button that is always disabled, and if you could press it, it
would bring up what I would call the old tool.

This control panel network app is not useful for 80-90% of normal
network connections, because 80-90% of normal network connections
are automatically configured by DHCP, just work, and need no config
tool at all. It is the 10-20% that don't get auto configured where
you need the tool, and the one in the control panel is in fact
utterly worthless for them.