[Test-Announce] Fedora 15 Final Release Candidate 3 (RC3) Available Now!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 16 20:16:54 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 11:59 +0100, Camilo Mesias wrote:
> I did an install from the RC3 live CD (on USB) and it went well.
>
> However F15 remains very unstable, I don't think I will be able to use
> it. The main problem is that it will lock up spontaneously (then heats
> up if left as if in a tight CPU consuming loop). Apart from that any
> kind of session ending - logout, reboot, and other things like
> suspend, hibernate, turning wireless on and off - things that use
> systemd maybe? - will lock up the machine in the same way. This
> machine was perfectly usable on F14 and never locked up.
>
> I have a bug: 697157 on the kernel which seems to be getting little or
> no attention; at the same time I don't have any idea how to diagnose
> this given that the logs contain no clues.

systemd isn't involved in logout, suspend, hibernate or wireless
switching, so I don't think it's a suspect here. What you might want to
do is try fallback mode, or a desktop other than GNOME, and see how that
goes; the problem here may be that there's bugs in the 3D / compositing
support for your graphics adapter that become apparent under Shell but
are not apparent when using a desktop that doesn't use the same features
Shell does. That would explain why it worked okay in F14. I'd be
interested to see if it works okay in fallback mode, KDE or LXDE...