Syslog not running?

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Mon May 16 20:45:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-16 at 13:37 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> <snip>

> > Then there are
> > those that use the DVD to upgrade. I assume they will be broken as well.
>
> Well, you can enable the updates repository during a DVD-based upgrade,
> and I expect many will do that. But if you don't, yes, you would have to
> enable the service manually post-upgrade.

Minor clarification, and mostly for my own understanding.  Users are not
directly given the chance to enable/disable repositories on upgrade.
The set of enabled repositories is determined by the installation method
chosen and whatever the fedora-release package defines.

If you are upgrading using a DVD, you will get *only* the DVD package
repo.  If you are upgrading using a network-based repository, you will
get *only* the packages available on the network repository.  If you do
not specify an installation method (no 'askmethod' or repo/method=), you
get whatever repositories are defined by the fedora-release package.
This typically means 'stable' and 'updates' are enabled.  To many
variables!  :)

> We did mark the bug as NTH, so if a fix had been written in time, it
> would have been included in the release, but at present it looks like
> that won't be the case. Anyone upgrading with the 'updates' repo enabled
> will have this fixed, however.

Thanks,
James