xrandr dual head configuration: how-to required

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 17 23:18:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 22:51 +0400, Hiisi wrote:
> On 17 May 2011 22:02, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 14:57 +0400, Hiisi wrote:
> <--SNIP-->
> > This is a tricky setup to get working; using two adapters at once with
> > RandR is uncommon and I know when we first went to RandR 1.2 was
> > unsupported. I don't know if it's theoretically supported now, but I'm
> > not at all surprised it's buggy.
> >
> > It would be much simpler if you could connect both monitors to one
> > adapter; does neither of them have dual outputs?
>
> I don't remember now (the computer is at work). I think I could
> connect one monitor through VGA-output and the other through DVI or
> HDMI. Will check it tomorrow morning.
> Thank you!

Cards like this, where there's one DVI jack and one VGA jack on the
back, are usually actually also capable of sending DVI/HDMI over the
'VGA' (or vice versa) and are supplied with an adapter for the purpose,
so if you have two DVI monitors you can still use them with such a card.
http://www.happyassassin.net