Release criteria updates: desktop question

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed May 18 00:02:20 UTC 2011

On 05/17/2011 11:29 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 23:17 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 05/17/2011 10:40 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>>> Finally, I have a new proposal for the issue of 'supported' desktops,
>>> which is blocking another planned criterion that we've been meaning to
>>> add for a while. I'm now proposing the term 'release-blocking desktops':
>>> it's simple, it does what it says on the tin, and it doesn't imply any
>>> value judgments about the desktops in question. How does that sound?
>>>
>>> So all current reference to 'desktop' or 'the desktop' would be replaced
>>> by 'release-blocking desktops', and the proposed image size criterion
>>> would read:
>>>
>>> * The network installation image, DVD image, and live images for
>>> release-blocking desktops must meet current size requirements
>>>
>> Great :)
>>
>> Now we just to have to decide which desktop spins are release blocking
>> desktops.
> No, 'we' don't. For the tenth time, that is not a decision QA makes, nor
> is it a part of the release criteria process. I really wish you'd stop
> trying to expand these threads.
>
>> Are we talking about all desktop spins we have?
>>
>> If not which ones?
> Right now, the release-blocking desktops are GNOME (in its capacity asnot
> the default desktop) and KDE. It is not QA's job to decide this, and
> it's not the release criteria's job to quantify it.

I beg the differ we are entity within the project that is ultimatly
responsable for overseeing the quality of the bits we ship and hand out
to our userbase expecially when it comes to a media which gets handed
out at various events or downloaded from our web site.

We exist to server all not a single SIG just like relese engineering and
the design group.

We ( atleast me and you ) are at impass regarding this matter however I
am supporting the changes you suggested since they will cover one or
many desktops hence I say make them and point me to the party that you
belive that is responsable for this and I can take it up with that party
If..

A)

Wether this is upp for the QA community to decide and if not what else
is and is not.

B)

If this is not for us to decide than they will decide it for us which
desktop(s) are allowed to block a release and that party be ultimatly
responsable for the quality of the other handout media or lack there of..

JBG