Release criteria updates: desktop question

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed May 18 03:17:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 01:54 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> Where you lack faith and trust and see inevitable failure on QA
> community's behalf I see a worthy task to be solved a solution to be
> found and even during this release cycle I revived some of that ideas
> and discussed them loosely with James on irc which involved completely
> revisiting our process and I have full confident that we together ( QA
> Community ) can come up with and engineer a solution that not only will
> survive the past growth of the project but also any future growth that
> will happen in years to come.
>
> The only inevatibly thing in this equation is that I will still be here
> when you or James have either move up and or move toward another
> position within Red Hat or quit for one reason or another that is if I
> will still be breathing before that time..

I said it'd be an inevitable failure if we had to test every desktop in
the world - it was just a silly exaggeration to make a point; that our
job is to try and provide QA for the scope of Fedora _as defined by the
appropriate group_, and we are not the group that defines the scope of
the project. I'm not suggesting any particular vision of what that scope
should be. I agree with many of your ideas - remember, I'm the one who
first tried to propose that XFCE and LXDE should be able to block the
release, and proposed the desktop validation process so that we now do
organized testing on those desktops where we didn't before. I'm not
saying that I don't think it would be a good idea for Fedora to consider
more than a single desktop important; personally I think that _would_ be
a good idea. All I'm saying is that we have to discuss and decide that
on a wider level than the QA group.