gnome3 and removable devices...

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed May 18 10:32:27 UTC 2011

On Wed May 18 06:19:28 UTC 2011 Rob Healey wrote
> I remember that in the old Gnome 2.x
[snip]

On Wed May 18 06:26:20 UTC 2011 Adam Williamson wrote:
> There's an 'eject' button next to it in the file manager, which more or less does this (it actually does something a bit stronger - it removes
> the device entirely, after you click it /dev/sda won't exist any more).

Actually in my F15 RC3 system when I plug an usb key and open
explorer, if I right click on this usb device line I can see both
"Eject" and "Safely remove Drive" icons
So it seems to me the same behaviour as in F14 (apart from the desktop icon).

On Wed May 18 08:55:52 UTC 2011 Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> In addition to that,  gnome-shell-extensions-drive-menu (in Fedora 15 repo) can be useful here.

Can you elaborate this, Rahul, please?

yum search gnome-shell-extension gives to me only these ones below:

gnome-shell-extensions-alternate-tab.noarch : Classic Alt+Tab
behavior. Window based instead of app based
gnome-shell-extensions-alternative-status-menu.noarch : For those who
want a power off item visible at all the time
gnome-shell-extensions-auto-move-windows.noarch : Assign specific
workspaces to applications
gnome-shell-extensions-common.noarch : Files common to GNOME Shell Extensions
gnome-shell-extensions-dock.noarch : Shows a dock-style task switcher
permanently
gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme.noarch : Lets the user select a
custom theme for the shell
gnome-shell-extensions-windowsNavigator.noarch : Keyboard selection of
windows and work-spaces in overlay mode

Thanks,
Gianluca