gnome3 and removable devices...

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 18 13:51:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:19:28PM -0700, Rob Healey wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> I remember that in the old Gnome 2.x, you could pull in a usb hard drive and
> the icon would show on the desktop...
>
> To safely remove the device, you could right click the icon, and choose
> "Safety remove..."
>
> In the new and awesome gnome3, there is a way to have the desktop handle
> icons and devices, but I do not like it...
>
> I know that my device will show in the upper panel bar, but how do I "Safely
> remove..." my device?  I know that I can open a terminal, su -l to root, and
> the umount /dev/sda1...  pain in the butt to have to do it this way!
>
> Can someone tell me how to handle this situation the correct gnome3 way?

DISCLAIMER: I have not tested this personally.

I think the desired functionality is still there in Gnome3 but disabled
by default. You need to install a package called "gnome-tweak-tool"
(which shows up in your application menu as "tweak advanced setttings" and
inside that program there is an item in the left hand side labeled "file
manager" if you select that and then select "Have file manager handle
the desktop" from "off" to "on" it should restore to the functionality
you are used to.

Hope this helps.

-AdamM