OT: GNOME a Linux-only project ? systemd a dependency of GNOME 3 ?

JB jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Mon May 23 12:01:01 UTC 2011

Some more enlightenment:

systemd vice d-bus:
"In the long run I hope that systemd takes a position next to D-Bus. i.e.
outside of GNOME, shared with other systems, a basic OS building block,
but pretty close to GNOME.

> Also you are speaking about (D-Bus) interfaces, and it is already
> envisioned to have them implemented by other components, should we talk
> about D-Bus interfaces that we expect to be available for GNOME, instead
> of saying "systemd"?

Really depends. In some cases dbus interface is fine (for example for the
mechanisms). In some other cases not so much, for example replacing CK in
gdm will be a different kind of interface."

Commentary on the above:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Bus
An implementation of D-Bus supports most POSIX operating systems, and a port
for Windows exists.
Freedesktop.org releases D-Bus ...
The design of D-Bus addresses two specific cases:
   1. communication between desktop applications in the same desktop session;
      to allow integration of the desktop session as a whole, and address
      issues of process lifecycle
   2. communication between the desktop session and the operating system,
      where the operating system would typically include the kernel and any

OK.

systemd and GNOME vice wide community interests: