Missing PackageKit notification in GNOME Shell

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed May 25 19:51:02 UTC 2011

On 25 May 2011 20:32, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com> wrote:
> It doesn't change the gsettings value /usr/libexec/packagekitd retrieves
> when running as "root". That's the problem here (it seems to me).

packagekitd running as root has no way of accessing the session
gsettings values.

The update gsettings plugin is solely responsible for getting updates
and every hour it checks to see if the frequency-get-updates has been
exceeded. If this is exceeded, it does an updates check with
packagekitd. If there are critical updates then a notification is
issued straight away, otherwise a notification is shown only when the
frequency-updates-notification value has elapsed. That's also set to
one week in gsettings and there's no UI to change that. What that
means in reality is that if there are no critical or security updates
then you only get notified of updates just once a week. That was a
requirement from the design team to reduce the number of pesky
notifications when there's nothing actually wrong,

Richard.