DVD F14 -> F15 Problems

Garry T. Williams gtwilliams at gmail.com
Sun May 29 17:44:56 UTC 2011

I upgraded to F15 from F14 using the DVD yeterday.  I experienced a
few glitches:

1.  I was not asked to include the updates repository during the
update process.  Sad.  Now I will have to do an update after first

2.  This is apparently a general problem not really related to the
specific upgrade.  I noticed that the upgrade process was slow.  The
disk just churned forever.  After booting for the first time, I ran
yum erase on my debuginfos so that the subsequent yum update would not
pull those in.  This erase command took way too long.

I think the rpm database gets into a state that needs attention.  This
fixed it:

    sudo rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.001 /var/lib/rpm/__db.002 \
	    /var/lib/rpm/__db.003 /var/lib/rpm/__db.004
    sudo rpm --rebuilddb

After that, yum operations sped up an order of magnitude.

3.  The first boot ended at multiuser.target instead of
graphical.target.  When I entered the command

    sudo systemctl isolate graphical.target

kdm came up and allowed a normal desktop login.

Hmmm.  I compared another system that I upgraded using preupgrade and
that one had the correct graphical.target file linked in
/etc/systemd/system .  So I had to do this to correct the problem:

    sudo rm /etc/systemd/system/default.target
    sudo ln -s /lib/systemd/system/runlevel5.target \

I don't know why this happened with the DVD upgrade and not with the
preupgrade upgrade.

4.  I then did a yum update and waited a few hours while over 500
packages were downloaded and updated/installed.  This was almost 1GB
of downloads.  Most packages did not have delta rpms.

5.  I run KDE and after logging in and starting Kmail, it refused to
start, complaining about akonadi not being available:

    Test 5:  ERROR
    InnoDB: Unable to lock ./ibdata1, error: 11
    InnoDB: Check that you do not already have another mysqld process
    InnoDB: using the same InnoDB data or log files.
    <repeated many times>

    Test 10:  ERROR
    Akonadi control process not registered at D-Bus.

    Test 15:  ERROR
    No resource agents found.

(Wow, this is a fragile piece in kdepim.)

The fix for this ended up being:

    sudo yum --enablerepo=kde-testing update

Now the system is operating as expected and all looks good.  I'd be
happy to open any bugs any of you think should be reported, but I
think others have already encountered most of this stuff.

Thank you for another excellent Fedora release.

Garry Williams

More information about the test mailing list