My Fedora 15 beta experiences so far

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 31 03:10:02 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 16:42 -0400, Richard Ryniker wrote:
> >I don't understand why Fedora maintainers decide to replace functional
> >software by software that lacks many essential features ...
>
> I have no direct connection to Fedora decision-makers, but I doubt this
> is something they "decide" to do.  It happens because Fedora seeks to
> package very recent versions of code, in order to deliver the latest
> function to users who either require this (new hardware, perhaps) or
> desire early exposure to the latest software in order to test
> applications and prepare for more general use by others.

Well, as it happens, the entire decision chain in this particular case
involved Fedora developers; the NetworkManager and GNOME Shell
developers involved are all Fedora developers too. It was the same
people who package these apps for Fedora who decided to make the big
changes upstream, and to pull those big changes downstream into Fedora
while they were not yet entirely complete.