F15 Not Ready for omen.com

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Tue May 31 08:21:50 UTC 2011

I usually upgrade to the latest Fedora release for my server,
but the problems with Gnome 3 may prevent that.

I use Fedora on my server as an application platform and
internet gateway.  My Gnome 2x panel has 14 windows.
The windows let me keep various "projects" separate.
The server runs in the cold dark basement.  I do most of my
work from an upstairs office which is reasonably comfortable.
I use VNC to control apps and Thunderbird mail.

Whatever problems Gnome 3 has on accelerated servers,
the 2d fallback is almost useless.  If it were  a complete Gnome
2.xx it would be fine.  Alas, it is nowhere near that.

KDE may be suitable, but none of the "get vncserver to use kde"
how-tos seem to work on Fedora 15.

So omen.com is stuck at Fedora 14 for a while.

--
Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R     caf at omen.com   www.omen.com