My Fedora 15 beta experiences so far

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue May 31 16:16:32 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 12:04 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 11:27 AM, Pasha R wrote:
> > This Fedora release is simply too useless for me - DSL connection is
> > just one of many features I lost with this release (actually, it
> > isn't, I never used NetworkManager before as it never supported
> > configuration that I want to use).
>
>   Speaking of network manager - does anyone know if KDE network manager
> applet in F15 is the same app (with whatever missing features)

No. It can't be. The GNOME Shell NM 'applet' is part of the Shell
itself.

> or is it
> KDE specific and therefore retained functionality ?

It's KDE-specific. It has its own regressions, though. Kevin Kofler can
probably provide more details. I believe VPN support was one of them but
this has been fixed by an update.

>   If the latter - can the kde one be used in gnome 3 ?

Probably not. The recommended way to access functions the GNOME 'panel
applet' and control center applet are missing is simply to use
nm-connection-editor .

>   I assume the backend NetworkManager daemon is not lacking functionality ?

Correct.