newegg.com and firefox on fedora 16?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 12:35:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:12:43 -0400
Scott Robbins wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 08:03:25AM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
>

> > Yesterday we were trying to figure out why no prices show up
> > on newegg.com on a friend's rhel 6 system when visiting it
> > with firefox. The only google results I found was someone with
> > the same problem when he disabled javascript (but javascript
> > was not disabled).
> >

> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070
> >
> > On my fedora 15 system with firefox 7.0.1, the price does
> > appear. Same version of firefox, so I really don't understand
> > what is happening here :-).
>
> By golly, you're right.  I normally use chrome or opera, so didn't see
> it, but I see, opening that link with Firefox on F16, that I have the
> same issue.  Opening it with chrome is fine.

To add even more confusion, if I (Gasp!) run firefox as root on
fedora 16, I can see the newegg prices, it is only when run as
a plain old user that I can't see the prices (and I have tried
safe mode and making a brand new .mozilla directory, etc - none
of that stuff works). Is some piece of javascript installed with
permissions that only allow root to run it? This is really weird.