newegg.com and firefox on fedora 16?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 20:54:55 UTC 2011

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 15:35:48 -0500
Michael Cronenworth wrote:

> The price is ASCII text embedded in the HTML page. IPv6 has absolutely
> nothing to do with this issue. You could view the source code of the
> page and find the price. It is a rendering problem (that I, and others
> cannot reproduce).

No, the price is ascii text embedded in the javascript obtained
from content.newegg.com, and with ip6v enabled firefox and wget
consistently fail to resolve the IP for content.newegg.com.

> There is no mythical IPv6 monster eating your bytes.

True: There is an *actual* IPv6 monster eating the DNS for
content.newegg.com, no myth. 100% correlation with turning
the flag on and off in firefox as many times as I care to test it.

Almost certainly nothing to do with firefox itself though,
more likely some combination of strange an wondrous problems
with firewalls and DNS server forwarding and wot-not on the
long an winding road out of the corporate firewall I was
inside to the actual lookup of content.newegg.com (but there
are a gazillion other <whatever>.newegg.com URLs it has no
problem resolving).