[Test-Announce] Fedora 16 Final Release Declared GOLD!

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Nov 3 22:56:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 12:15 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:

> Thank you to EVERYONE for your sleepless nights, endless testing, prompt
> bug-fixing, and endless patience through 5 release candidates.

For the record, Fedora 16 required a total of 20 TC / RC composes.
That's a new record, at least since Fedora 12, which is as far back as
we have a handy record:

Fedora 12: 11 composes
Fedora 13: 17 composes
Fedora 14: 12 composes (F14 final was F14 RC1!)
Fedora 15: 11 composes
Fedora 16: 20 composes

This mostly reflects the fact that F16 makes major changes in very
release sensitive areas, but also I think that we're getting better at
detecting problems and resolving them as blockers and hence driving up
the quality of Fedora releases. (We also effectively 'added' two TCs to
the schedule by moving up the TC date for Beta and Final). Just to
tootle our own horn a little!

I'd certainly second Robyn's thanks to all the awesome folks on the
devel, releng and QA teams who worked so hard to get this thing done and
shiny without slipping any further. We bent process a little to make the
release date but we didn't compromise on quality at all, which is great.