[Test-Announce] Fedora 16 Final Release Declared GOLD!

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Nov 4 14:18:38 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 04, 2011 at 12:50:43 +0100,
  Patrick Lists <fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On 11/04/2011 07:32 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > So to summarize: we're testing more, to higher standards, on a release
> > that had extremely disruptive changes, with fewer paid RH staff involved
> > than before. It was a bit of a perfect storm!
>
> And the result is something you can all be proud of! Thank you and
> everybody involved for your hard work to get F16 done - on time - in
> spite of all the big changes and challenges you faced. Truly remarkable.

As noted in other threads, the release was really two weeks late. There were
one week slips added at alpha and beta.

I think F16 is clearly better than F15. (Refuseniks might still prefer
F14 for Gnome 2 and/or avoiding systemd.)

F17 is looking to be better still. If I am understanding a message on the
Anaconda list we will probably be able to installs on systems with 256 MB
of ram again. Anaconda is supposed to get a UI improvement. Open source
graphics will support all of OpenGL 3.0. More services will be natively
using systemd. Gnome should be getting another iterative improvement.