gtk3-3.3.2-1/ fc16

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Nov 7 22:26:09 UTC 2011

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 14:19:17 -0800
Rob Healey <robhealey1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> A few daysd ago, I tried something that seemed uncomplicated to me?
> How sad that was?
>
> I enabled rawhide and disabled fedora updates updates-testing...
>
> I updated only gtk2 gtk2-devel gtk3 gtk3-devel on my fc16 machine.  I
> rebooted, and now the computer will not finish loading Gnome Shell ...
>
> Could anyone tell me why this happened?

Mixing packages between releases is in general a very bad idea and
likely to break all over the place.

When you say you updated "only" those 4 packages, you mean you using
rpm --force or something? Updating those with yum would likely result
in pulling in most of rawhide, leaving you a hopeless melange of f16
and rawhide.

If you must have the versions from rawhide, pull down the src.rpms and
rebuild for f16. Of course you may need to adjust for versions in f16,
etc.

kevin