Release criteria proposal: 'support' /boot on RAID

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Nov 16 03:42:40 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Ian Pilcher <arequipeno at gmail.com> said:
> > "The installer must be able to create and install to software, hardware
> > or BIOS RAID-0, RAID-1 or RAID-5 partitions"
> >
> > Mo has already written up a test case for /boot on RAID which we can use
> > to test this in future.
> >
> > Any thoughts, modifications, objections? Thanks!
>
> You probably want to be clear that /boot is RAID-1 only (unless grub2
> has *really* come a long way).

That limitation is specific to Linux-md I believe; doesn't grub uses the
BIOS to access the drive(s)?  If so, I think BIOS-RAID (and of course
hardware RAID) should be transparent and work fine.

Old-grub also didn't support newer Linux-md metadata formats, so that
should be explicitly mentioned (I don't know about grub2).

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>