No more cpuspeed in F16

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 20:53:33 UTC 2011

On 17 November 2011 13:43, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> Wouldn't it be a better fix to get to the vendor (assuming it is still
>>> under warranty) and demand either the money back or a fix?
>>> I doubt it takes that long to discover such issues so I don't get why
>>> people end up having such devices for a longer period of time.
>>
>> The vendor just tells you 'consumer laptops aren't designed to use full
>> CPU power for extended periods'. I've tried.
>
> Huh? ... Which vendor was that? (To add to my "not buy from" list ;) )

I have pretty much gotten that from everyone (ASUS, IBM, HP, Dell,
nonames) when working corporate support. Consumer level laptops are
cheap because they are meant to run basically low level stuff most of
the time and high level stuff very very short times. The extra costs
that go into various enterprise and "gamer" class laptops is to make
sure that the high-level can be longer.. but they will still only rate
it for like 10 minutes of 100% CPU usage versus 30-60 seconds on a
commercial laptop. If you need longer get a desktop was what we were
told by the above.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren