grub --> grub2 Branched

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Sun Oct 2 18:01:53 UTC 2011

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011, David Lehman wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-09-30 at 09:50 +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
>> I have Branched boxes with have stayed as Branched since F14 with  grub
>>
>> Now I try install grub2 - conflict.
>> How do I install without losing the 8 kernel entries  in grub\menu.lst
>>
>> Worried that "yum uninstall grub" will remove the entries.
>>
>> Couldn't find a workaround here:
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Grub2
>>
>> Advice?
>
> Make a backup copy of /boot/grub before running yum.
>
> Dave

IMHO this is not necessary. I have both grub and grub2 installed together.
Grub2 is using /boot/grub2/ to store config etc. After installation of
grub2 it does not create any config by default (at least did not for me
last week). I had to run make config to create one and of course grub2
install to replace the GPT/MBR/whatever.

Adam Pribyl