f 16 beta in virtualbox

David dgboles at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 21:03:18 UTC 2011

On 10/3/2011 3:23 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:
> I'm able now to log in graphically in F16 and get Gnome Shell, but only with the
> alternative status menu extension disabled. (The Alt trick to see the "Power
> Off..." option works, at least.) In Rawhide, I still can't log in graphically at
> all, even with the gnome-shell-extension-* packages removed. Today there were
> F16 updates for gnome-shell-extension-* so that might account for the difference.
>
> With the regular guest additions, I would get fallback mode in both, and that
> worked normally.

The 'advanced graphics' video feature in Virtualbox seldom works in
Rawhide and the current 'branched' package (currently Fedora 16) because
Virtualbox does not support alpha/beta/non-release versions of Xorg.

This has gotten worse since it was decided to kill system-config-display
and make monitor recognition and resolution into 'plug-n-pray'.

--

   David