f 16 beta in virtualbox

David dgboles at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 00:04:15 UTC 2011

On 10/4/2011 10:51 AM, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-10-03 at 17:03 -0400, David wrote:
>
>> The 'advanced graphics' video feature in Virtualbox seldom works in
>> Rawhide and the current 'branched' package (currently Fedora 16) because
>> Virtualbox does not support alpha/beta/non-release versions of Xorg.
>
> F16 has xserver 1.11.1.  I don't know how much more "released" you want
> it to be.

Virtualbox has said that they do not chase development software.

As long as Rawhide has some Xorg that is *not* the current stable
released Xorg the video driver will not build. Period. As Rawhide
branches into 'the future release' this still holds. Some where near the
end of the alpha, beta, RC cycle and a stable Xorg is settled Virtualbox
will support that Xorg. *As soon as* Xorg gets bumped in Rawhide it will
no longer build there.

The GuestAdditions from the last, Monday ?, update release of Virtualbox
now build video drivers for Fedora 16.

>> This has gotten worse since it was decided to kill system-config-display
>> and make monitor recognition and resolution into 'plug-n-pray'.
>
> I have difficulty seeing the connection between this point and the
> previous.

There are some users that have older monitors that to not identify
themselves so that the resolution is not properly set. With a true
install or an install in a VDI. *Most* of those can never be set to
higher resolutions because system-config-display was killed. Even after
the proper video drivers for Virtualbox are built. That is the connection.

--

   David