f 16 beta in virtualbox

David dgboles at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 03:03:08 UTC 2011

On 10/4/2011 10:30 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-10-04 at 20:04 -0400, David wrote:

>>> F16 has xserver 1.11.1.  I don't know how much more "released" you want
>>> it to be.
>>

>> Virtualbox has said that they do not chase development software.
>>
>> As long as Rawhide has some Xorg that is *not* the current stable
>> released Xorg the video driver will not build. Period.
>
> 1.11.1 *is* the current stable release X.org.
>
> VirtualBox's error message can call it alpha/beta/non-released all it
> likes. That doesn't mean it's true.
>
> A more accurate description of the situation is 'Oracle will update
> VBox's guest additions to support new X.org releases as and when it damn
> well pleases, and as said guest additions are closed source, everyone
> else is tied to Oracle's schedule'.

Point taken.  But? They don't support Fedora development. So Adam here
is where explain this the the OP.

>> There are some users that have older monitors that to not identify
>> themselves so that the resolution is not properly set. With a true
>> install or an install in a VDI. *Most* of those can never be set to
>> higher resolutions because system-config-display was killed. Even after
>> the proper video drivers for Virtualbox are built. That is the connection.
>
> "Can never"? Hardly. It's perfectly possible to do it in xorg.conf. It's
> just that no-one feels particularly inclined to maintain a GUI tweak
> tool for xorg.conf any more.

What you need to do Adam is listen to the many disadvantaged Linux users
that don't have 'shiny new hardware'. And then *you* say --  'Let they
eat cake'.

Fits dude. Linux has *always* claimed that 'we run on anything'. And
that no longer fits. And now all *you* have to do is to single out just
what Linux does not run on any more and explain it to them.

When I started with Linux it was Red Hat 5.2 and Mandrake 6.0. And all
the way to today Mageia and Mandrake can still find that really old, no
longer used but still works, CRT monitor, decide what it it, and
configure it properly.

And Fedora has, as far back as i can recall, long before you left
Mandriva and cam here, fedora does a 'duh' and does not configure that
same monitor.

Your turn. But I no long really care.

--

   David