grub2 confusion

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Fri Oct 7 13:24:22 UTC 2011

On 10/07/2011 03:38 AM, JB wrote:
> Eric Blake <eblake <at> redhat.com> writes:

>> No.  cp is not atomic.  rename(2) (via mv(1), if both files are on the
>> same device) is.  Any solution that does not use rename(2) is flawed,
>> because an ill-timed power-outage will leave the file in an inconsistent
>> state.
>
> Well, the only solution is a new option for mv(1), right ?
> mv --follow-symlink ...

  No - It seems to me the link should just be removed.

  The only purpose of symlink is (supposed) user ease to locate the real
file - which is compiled from building blocks anyway .. so there it
should not be hand changed at all.

  All the symlink does is add confusion and possibly some additional
risk ... remove it ..