Final Release Criterion for Xen DomU

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Fri Oct 7 13:32:47 UTC 2011

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 14:38:02 -0700
Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 16:02 -0400, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
>

> It's not so much a question of 'do we have the resources in place to
> probably make sure it works at release time' but 'is it a terrible
> disaster if we make a release in which it's broken'. That's what the
> release validation process is meant to ensure, and _only_ that. It's
> not like, if we don't make it a release blocker, it means no-one will
> care about Xen and it will always be broken.

I think that another consideration would be that if Fedora doesn't work
as Xen DomU at release time, using the final media (DVD, netinstall ISO
etc.) to create DomUs will never work. I'm not as worried about Dom0 at
release time because unless I'm missing something, that could likely be
fixed with updates post-release.

Granted, using the DVDs isn't the only way to make a DomU but it's
certainly more difficult to create DomUs without them, especially if the
issue is with something that is not likely to get updated post-release
(anaconda, lorax et. al.).

I'm not sure that I'd vote for a release criteria to make DomU or Dom0
issues release blocking but unless there are objections, I think that
making Xen issues NTH for Final (and maybe Beta) would be a good idea.

Tim