grub2 confusion

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Oct 7 17:21:32 UTC 2011

Michael Schwendt writes:
> The symlink target is read-only as another reminder that one should
> not edit it with an editor but only via the fragments in /etc/grub.d/
>
> --

Seems clear enough, as is also the unambiguous header in grub.cfg,
until one reads the Grub manual which clearly and unambiguously says:
"In the meantime, those who feel that it would be easier to write
grub.cfg directly are encouraged to do so."

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#Simple-configuration

Are we to edit directly? Or not?
Are we to use update-grub (as the file grub.cfg says)? Or grub-mkconfig
(as the manual says)? Or grub2-mkconfig (as actually exists in the fs)?

Seems clear as mud, and I've only been studying grub2 for less than an
hour. Which is, actually, making me a bit nervous about grub2.

Janina