grub2 confusion

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Oct 7 17:49:49 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 07, 2011 at 12:03:46PM +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 20:11:51 -0600, MJ (Michal) wrote:

> > > No.  cp is not atomic.
> >
> > I think that in this particular case you are overdoing that concern.
> > These are small files and real writes are in blocks and not
> > characters.
>
> Well, to defend Eric, it's okay to be pedantic in this case at a technical
> level. Sort of.

Well, yes.  But in the same posting you are qouting here I also
wrote how to fix grub2-mkconfig in a simple way while taking into
account those concerns.  AFAICS this is really a matter of filing a
bug report instead of long discussions on a mailing list.

I my opinion proposals of "drop a symlink" kind are really misguided
attempts to paper over the issue.  Some symlink may always reappear
for one reason or another and then we are back to a square one.

   Michal