grub conflicts grub2

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Oct 10 05:02:46 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-09 at 12:43 +0200, Christian Menzel wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have F16 running on a ThinkPad X220 and therefore a EFI setup with
> both grub and grub2 installed.
>

> Today yum wants to update (among others) the kernel and grub as well
> as grub2.
> But a conflict is reported stating: 1:grub-0.97-79.fc16.x86_64 has
> installed conflicts grub2: 1:grub2-1.99-6.fc16.x86_64.
>

> Should I try the suggested --skip-broken switch? I don't want to end
> up with an unbootable system.

What's eventually going to happen is that grub2 will replace grub and
you'll have to write a new config manually. You can beat the rush and do
it now - install grub2, remove grub (you can use yum shell mode to do
this without any complaints), run 'grub2-mkconfig
-o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' then 'grub2-install /dev/whatever' ,
where /dev/whatever is the device you want to boot from.

This should work in most cases, though if you're using BIOS RAID you
might run into a bit of trouble - we keep finding cases where grub2/BIOS
RAID is busted.