grub conflicts grub2

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 01:01:53 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 11:29 -0400, Genes MailLists wrote:
> On 10/10/2011 01:02 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
>

> > What's eventually going to happen is that grub2 will replace grub and
> > you'll have to write a new config manually. You can beat the rush and do
> > it now - install grub2, remove grub (you can use yum shell mode to do
> > this without any complaints), run 'grub2-mkconfig
> > -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' then 'grub2-install /dev/whatever' ,
> > where /dev/whatever is the device you want to boot from.
> >
> > This should work in most cases, though if you're using BIOS RAID you
> > might run into a bit of trouble - we keep finding cases where grub2/BIOS
> > RAID is busted.
>
>  Does this work for UEFI boot

grub2-efi is not very reliable. We use grub-legacy for EFI installs of
Fedora 16.

> (seems to be the norm on all new computers)?

Well, it's not entirely. Most new systems support EFI, but still
comparatively few people actually boot via EFI, it seems like; often
systems still default to booting via BIOS emulation and you have to
manually choose to use native EFI boot. Obviously this is changing over
time and EFI support is becoming more and more important.

>   I had vague recollections that grub2 had problems with UEFI - perhaps
> it has been fixed now?

No, it's still pretty busted, hence the fudge of using grub-legacy for
EFI installs of F16. This unfortunately makes the whole problem space
much more complex and is a decision we're starting to regret, but we're
kind of stuck with it now :/