grub conflicts grub2

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 01:04:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 18:46 +0200, Christian Menzel wrote:

>         What's eventually going to happen is that grub2 will replace
>         grub and
>         you'll have to write a new config manually. You can beat the
>         rush and do
>         it now - install grub2, remove grub (you can use yum shell
>         mode to do
>         this without any complaints), run 'grub2-mkconfig
>         -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' then 'grub2-install /dev/whatever' ,
>         where /dev/whatever is the device you want to boot from.
>

> Thanks for your answer, I appreciate it, but are you sure this also
> works with UEFI?

No, indeed not, I missed the EFI wrinkle. We are going to have some fun
with that. For an EFI install you want to have grub installed, not
grub2. Remove the grub2 package and ensure the grub or grub-efi package
is installed (grub-efi has been split off from grub in a recent update).

> And why were grub and grub2 installed in parallel, I didn't do it
> manually.

This is just what happens when you install Beta via EFI. grub2 is listed
as 'default' in the base package group in Beta, so even if you do an EFI
install and hence aren't actually using grub2 at all, you get the grub2
package installed. This should be better for Final, but unfortunately,
things are going to be rocky for EFI installs of the Beta, because we
have to rejig things quite a lot to make it more or less work 'right'
for Final, and some of that rejigging is likely to screw up existing
Beta EFI installs.