Release criteria proposal: downgrade some kickstart delivery methods from Beta to Final

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Oct 12 01:44:16 UTC 2011

Hey, folks. So, currently the Beta criteria state:

"The installer must be able to use all kickstart delivery methods"

This is probably over-ambitious for Beta. We have some pretty odd
kickstart delivery methods:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Kickstart_File_Path_Ks_Cfg
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Kickstart_Hd_Device_Path_Ks_Cfg

that are only really useful in pretty unusual scenarios. In fact the
first of these is broken in F16 Beta and we decided to go ahead and
release it anyway (on the basis that we agreed this criterion should be
changed, which is why I'm proposing a change now), and the world has not
ended.

I'd propose at least this much change:

for Beta, the criterion should read

"The installer must be able to use the HTTP and NFS kickstart delivery
methods"

as those are the two that are really useful in most situations, and we
move

"The installer must be able to use all kickstart delivery methods"

to be a Final criterion. Thoughts? The Beta criterion is a bit more
'technology-specific' than I usually like to make the criteria, but I
don't think we're that likely to discover any exciting new protocols in
the foreseeable future, so specifying HTTP and NFS is probably
reasonably future-proof.