openSUSE announces release of openqa

Lucas Meneghel Rodrigues lookkas at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:47:12 UTC 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-10-13 at 08:35 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
>> http://news.opensuse.org/2011/10/11/opensuse-announces-first-public-release-of-
>> openqa/
>
> saw it!
>
> in fact, we've talked to one of the lead developers before.
>
> it's got some cool design features, a reasonably nice results interface,
> and it's somewhat more mature than AutoQA at present: these are good
> points about it.
>
> it relies on screenshot validation for pass/fail and it's written in
> freakin' perl: these are bad points about it. =)

Well, we have developed a system to do some part of the KVM VM based
tests that is also based on screenshot validation, and it's written in
python, so it does pretty much what OpenQA does.

And it was developed on top of autotest, the same system where AutoQA
is developed. Now, I also don't like the screenshot validation thing.
It is fragile, and it has sort of a maintenance burden. Yet it'd be
interesting to look at our py based infra as well as looking into
OpenQA. I am not in favor of NIH syndrome, but at least let's consider
both systems carefully :)

I've given a brief look, and it indeed has some really nice features,
I specially like the video output generation.

I remember the anaconda developers had made a test suite for anaconda,
also, at some point it was also discussed implementing anaconda using
a MVC pattern approach, which means the interactions with anaconda UI
could be recorded and replayed, at least in theory. But well, let's
focus on what already exists and works.

--
Lucas