Release criteria proposal: i18n criteria

Adam Williamson awilliam at
Fri Oct 14 21:13:28 UTC 2011

> During Final blocker review meetings, we've come up against a couple of
> bugsto do with missing translations that we'd like to consider for Final
> blocker status:
> however we don't currently actually have any criteria that cover i18n
> (translation) issues. We should probably require some basic level of
> translation to be in place for particularly popular languages. How about
> a Final criterion, something like:
> * The installer, bootup and login processes should correctly display all
> translations that are available for use
> the intent is that where the translation team has actually provided
> translations of this key content, they should be displayed, but we're
> not going to block on no translations being available for some language
> or another.

Taking into consideration the list feedback, and some issues that came
up at the meeting, we agreed to accept this substantially modified text
during the blocker review meeting today:

"All critical path actions on release-blocking desktop environments
should correctly display all sufficiently complete translations
available for use"

this covers updating, and re-uses the existing critpath definition so
we're not re-inventing it. 'critical path actions' will be a link to the
critpath wiki page. I'll add this to the Final criteria shortly.
IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | adamwfedora