Release criteria: virtualization tweak

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Fri Oct 14 22:02:23 UTC 2011

On 10/14/2011 03:48 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Thanks again for this suggestion, Albert. Following this discussion I
> went ahead and amended the Beta criteria to:
>
> The release must be able host virtual guest instances of the same
> release, using Fedora's current preferred virtualization technology

What happens if we have multiple supported virt technology (that is,
suppose F17 supports both xen dom0 and kvm out of the box) - should the
be worded to cover all supported virt tech, or is it limited to just one
technology (and if so, which)?

> The release must install and boot successfully as a virtual guest in a
> situation where the virtual host is running the previous stable Fedora
> release, using Fedora's current preferred virtualization technology

That's confusing, as the preferred virtualization technology may have
changed between releases.

For arguments sake, we know F16 prefers kvm, and let's suppose F17 goes
back to xen as default.  Does that mean F17 has to boot successfully as
a guest in an F16 xen situation, or that F17 has to boot successfully
both as a xen guest of F17 and as a kvm guest of F16?

Given both those points, I suggest we alter the wording to something
like this:

The release must be able host virtual guest instances of the same
release, using each of Fedora's current preferred virtualization
technologies.

The release must install and boot successfully as a virtual guest in a
situation where the virtual host is running the previous stable Fedora
release, using each of the preferred virtualization technologies of that
prior release.