Grub -> grub2?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Oct 15 22:39:39 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 13:25:53 -0600,
  Jonathan Corbet <corbet-ft at lwn.net> wrote:
> So today yum wants to put grub2 onto my rawhide system, nudging grub out
> of the way in the process.  This makes me nervous.  Last time I read
> about this, it wasn't a straightforward update from one to the other.  If
> that has changed, could somebody please give me a warm fuzzy feeling that
> allowing that update would be a rational thing to do?

I tested this with F16 systems (I haven't quite gotten to rebooting my
rawhode machine yet) and things still work. I tested doing a kernel upgrade
afterwards and it also worked, though there were messages from grubby.

The key grub info is in the mbr and /boot and none of those places are
touched when grub is removed. grubby will try to update both grub and grub2
configs for kernel updates.

So things should be fine at least until you try to change over to using
grub2 to boot. (That I haven't tried yet.)